Thursday, February 5, 2009

Radio Update

After a bit of fiddling around, I'm getting a few faint stations from the poor old thing. There's still a fair amount of background noise, but at least this means that the tubes are still working. I cleaned the carbon tracks on the volume/tone variable resistors to reduce some of the crackling, and replaced some of the wires that connect the various in-cabinet aerials. I even made a makeshift secondary AM antenna using a spool of wire and a small square cardboard box, but the hissing remains. A bit of web-wandering revealed that there is a calibration procedure that can be done (someone had actually scanned-in some old Philco repair manuals). However, this is a fairly involved process and needs things like a signal generator, which I don't think I can lay my hands on at the mo. All-in-all I'm pleased with the result, and shall probably document my experiences and put them online in the near future.

No comments: